Strange Things Will Happen

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Moscow Chronicles, Day 1

It's spring break! I'm finding it unbelievable that the semester is half over. I'm trying to not think too much about the end, and instead savor all the time I have left in St. Petersburg.

However... I'm in Moscow! The entire AIFS group is on a weekend excursion to Moscow, and my spring break plans are to stay here for the rest of the week. I'm extremely happy that I get to explore Moscow more thoroughly than these short 2 days; however, I'm also a bit bummed that almost everyone is going to a warmer climate for break. The weather has actually been pleasant, though, so I can't complain too much.

I came here by train, which was my first experience on an overnight train. The compartments were quite tiny, with four people to each cabin. I got the top bunk, as well as some pretty nasty bruises. Nonetheless, I had a wonderful time, and am enjoying my Moscow experience so far.

The first day the group got a private bus tour, and we got out to explore places like Red Square, Novodevichy Cemetery, and Cathedral of Christ the Saviour.

State Historical Museum

Austin and I in front of Lenin's Mausoleum


Inside ГУМ, or GUM (pronounced 'goom') -- a large mall which functions mostly as a sightseeing attraction. It's quite lavish for a shopping mall. I hope to come back later and just sit, people watch, and drink coffee.


After seeing the Red Square, we walked over to the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour.

Boris Yeltsin's grave at Novodevichy Cemetery.
Just a picture of the gorgeous snow falling.

Later that night we went to the circus. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it immensely, but I was pleasantly surprised. There were plenty of acts with various animals, but my favorites were with the contortionists and trapeze artists.


I've had a lot of fun so far in Moscow, although I would agree with something that my friend Glenn said, "There's more to see in St. Petersburg, but more to do in Moscow." That might be too hasty of a judgment, but I'll definitely have more of a feel for the city by the end of the week. Adventures from today will be posted soon!

1 comment:

  1. Good memories of going to Red Square in the snow. Love the picture of you and Austin and the snow flake, it looks like the perfect snowflake.

    ReplyDelete