Strange Things Will Happen

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Well I guess you should know...

...that I'm still alive! I'm in the process of getting last-minute things together for my trip, so I won't bore you to death with mundane details. In about a week, I'll be posting from London. Shortly after that, I'll write directly from St. Petersburg.

There are so many amazing opportunities for volunteering while I'm abroad. I can apply for a job at the Hermitage, which could involve archaeological excavations, ushering performances at the theatre (and viewing them for free!), or helping with the art exhibits. As a ballet dancer, pianist, and general arts lover, this sounds positively fantastical. At the same time, however, there is a more career-pertinent position with the Russian Red Cross. I'm hoping that my schedule permits me to do both. I'm already starting to rev up my overachieving gene after a long break...

As for classes, I'm strongly leaning towards a St. Petersburg history/culture course and a Russian healthcare/economics oriented course as my electives. Besides two electives, I'll also take an intensive language class; I'll have to take a placement test for that. I'll let everyone know soon how I place and what my schedule will look like.

I'm going to post once a week at a minimum; additionally, I'll do my best to prepare fun weekly 'spotlights'... they might be certain palaces, monuments, or even food! I'm always on the hunt for interesting places to hang out, and if those places have delicious foods, then I'm hooked. I have a feeling that it won't be a problem to find something great to eat in Russia. ;-)

That's all for now. Cheers, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment