Strange Things Will Happen

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dropping everyone a couple of lines from sunny Barcelona! I’m actually in my last day here, and the next few will be spent in Madrid. Afterwards, we’ll be moving on to Paris.

My last night with everyone in London was odd; I didn’t feel so much devastated as I was lost. It was weird to leave without my group of friends, and even odder to find myself traveling, eating, and sleeping without them around me. I’m extremely happy with my choice of program and study abroad location -- I feel as though I have a lot to take home after this semester; not just in excess luggage!

Obviously my blog is supposed to be all about my semester in Russia, but I figure it can’t hurt to update some more over the next few weeks about my other European travels; additionally, I’ll let everyone know about the study abroad fair that I’ll be attending come autumn.

Barcelona’s been lovely; I’ve missed sunny weather and, most of all, the OCEAN. I felt immediately at home when I saw the waves, white sand, and sailboats in the distance. I’ve got first-degree burns to show for my over-zealous sun-embracing attitude, but I’m still utterly content. Our first few days were spent sight-seeing: Park Guell, several Gaudi architecture pieces, Dali museum, Picasso museum, and the like.


Park Guell; one of the beautiful walkways.
Breakfast at Mercat de la Boqueria.... astounding and delicious food and juice selection.
Sagrada Familia; rising into the heavens.
Sagrada Familia; the interior of Gaudi's masterpiece.
Yesterday was a magnificent day excursion to Montserrat… a small town among awe-inspiring rock formations and mountains. Also… hiker’s paradise! I had a lot of fun climbing up on rocky cliffs and exploring abandoned hermitages (causing  my mom to panic quite a bit).

Mom and I at the top of a trail.
A better idea of what hikers had in store for themselves, and the beauty of Montserrat.
Today was an entire day spent at the beach -- I almost wish that we’d done this everyday, but that would have taken too much time away from seeing important sights in Barcelona. Next time, however, I have to stay near the ocean and swim everyday. The water was cold enough that most people stayed away, but I found it quite relaxing.

I never know when the next time I have internet will be, but hopefully I’ll get to write some more about my experiences to come in Madrid and Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment